HALLOWEEN NOW IDENTIFIED AS THE BEGINNING OF THE FESTIVE SHOPPING SEASON
With just under eight weeks until Christmas Day, Halloween is now viewed as the start of the Holiday Shopping Season, according to stats released by software-as-a-service (SaaS) company Bazaarvoice, helping brands and retailers transform earned media into increased sales.
Star Wars costumes are also the most popular on Halloween according to the data – for humans and animals! Bazaarvoice delved into its network of brands and retailers for the latest spooky shopping stats about the much-loved holiday:
- Halloween is now well and truly the start of the Holiday Shopping Season. The first big spike in online shopping traffic takes place on Halloween, with 260% more online traffic than normal, with steady increases and large spikes taking place in the lead-up to Christmas.
- Black Friday (620%) and Cyber Monday (420%) see the next largest spikes, before the peak in the week before Christmas during which time there is 800% more traffic than normal.
- People start planning their costume about six weeks before Halloween, with increased pageviews for costumes starting around the third week of September.
- Online shoppers’ favourite costume is Captain Phasma from Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Pets are also getting in on the Halloween act – the most purchased pet costumes in 2016 were Star Wars Ewok and Wonder Woman.
- Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is the most popular zombie film at Halloween, with more DVD and bluray pageviews than any other.
(Source: Bazaarvoice Network Data)