Customer Contact

The COVID-19 pandemic created a surge in home network usage and issues, and disrupted customer contact-center operations for broadband service providers around the globe.

Sweepr, the provider of simple care for the connected home, surveyed broadband users to examine their recent customer support experiences and inclination to use digital self-service.

The survey of more than 600 consumers across the U.S. and UK found that of those who experienced technical issues, 58% could not connect to the Internet; 59% experienced slow broadband speeds; 27% had a router/modem issue; and nearly 20% could not connect to a service, such as Netflix–over a recent sixty-day period. In response, 82% first tried to fix the problem themselves, citing speed and convenience as their top two motivators. However, 72% of those who relied on their provider’s self-service tools found them not easy to find, and 71% said those instructions were also not easy to understand.

While 55% of all people could not fix their own issues, the difficulty was far more acute for less tech-savvy consumers. 73% of self-described, non-technical people failed to fix their own problems. In total, 80% of all respondents who failed to fix their problems transferred to a customer support center, and 80% of them had their issue fixed remotely without the need to send a technician to the home.

“Both consumers and service providers are at a critical inflection point when it comes to digital self-service, accelerated by the COVID-19 situation,” said Alan Coleman, Founder and CEO of Sweepr. “People want to solve their own home tech issues quickly, and service providers want to keep those customers happy while minimizing costs. This survey showed there’s significant room for improvement on both fronts, but also unveiled a powerful upside. If 80% of tech issues can be fixed remotely by a care agent, imagine the possibilities if more of that power was automated, simplified, and placed in the hands of consumers.”

The survey also found:

  • While 45% were able to fix their own tech issues, 55% failed to do so. Of those who failed, 80% contacted customer support, and the remaining 20% just stopped trying.
  • Consumers were willing to spend time fixing their own issues, up to a point. Almost 3 out of 4 respondents were willing to spend 30 minutes or less to fix their own tech issues. Only 17% spent up to an hour trying to fix their tech issues, while just 3% spent up to three hours.
  • When looking to fix a technical issue, a broadband provider’s online self-service tools were slightly more favored and used by 38% of people, while 37% used other online resources, and 25% asked the advice of family and friends.
  • 17% of successful resolutions were attributable to broadband provider self-service support tools.
  • Traditional support channels took considerable time. More than 1 in 3 people were on hold for more than 30 minutes to reach an agent.
  • Among self-described, non-technical people only 17% had their issue fixed upon first contact with an agent, and they were 2.5 times more likely to require five contacts to fix their issue than more tech-savvy people.
  • More than 1 in 3 of all respondents spent an average of 90 minutes on their tech support issue.
  • Additional details from the survey can be found at

You may also like...

Keep Up To Date - Subscribe To Our Email Newsletter Today

Get the latest industry news direct to your inbox on all your devices.

We may use your information to send you details about goods and services which we feel may be of interest to you. We will process your data in accordance with our Privacy Policy as displayed on our parent website