OPENMARKET SURVEY UNCOVERS BEST PRACTICES FOR RETAILER COMMUNICATION THROUGHOUT THE CUSTOMER JOURNEY
OpenMarket, a leader in enterprise mobile engagement, has released findings from a consumer study on mobile communication channels. The research, conducted by eDigitalResearch revealed that text messaging is the most effective communication channel for brands seeking to contact consumers in real-time with time-sensitive information, such as order status alerts.
The findings suggest that retailers need to implement a comprehensive communications strategy that includes multiple channels, in order to engage with consumers across the entire lifecycle.
- 53 percent of respondents citing SMS as the preferred method of communication when ‘on the go’
- 93% of consumers use their mobile phone for SMS, with just 55% using email on their device
- 59 percent of respondents preferred to receive promotional information via email
- 54 percent indicated they always or mostly always opened offers received via email
- Open rates of SMS far outpace those of email and push notifications, with 83% prioritising text messages
- 85 percent of respondents would prioritise unopened text messages over emails and push notifications from apps
- Spam and privacy are a key concern for the public, with just 43% of respondents willing to share their phone number with retailers
“Retail is a very personal experience with unique consumer and purchase journeys,” said Steve Brockway, Director of Research (UK) at eDigitalResearch. “The report underscores how preferences regarding brand interactions differ for every shopper. This means that retailers must consider these preferences when choosing how they engage with each one of their customers. A ‘one size fits all’ solution doesn’t exist, and retailers should evaluate each communication channel to ensure a smooth customer journey whenever possible.”
Paul Murphy, Head of Commercial Development at OpenMarket added: “This research truly reinforces the importance of a comprehensive communications plan for retailers, which includes using a variety of channels for each phase of the customer lifecycle.”
“The continued shift to online shopping and growth of services such as ‘Click & Collect’ mean that it’s critical to provide timely delivery and collection information. Only SMS can offer the ubiquity, familiarity and effectiveness when it comes to these types of interactions.”