Speaker in the Spotlight – Ian Schmehl
In the run up to The Future of the Contact Centre, we are sitting down with some of our world class speakers to get a further insight into their role and what to expect from their presentations. Today we are joined by Ian Schmehl, Vice President Customer and Enterprise Care at AT&T Mexico.
Can you provide us with an insight into a ‘day in the life’ of your role?
- My current role is Vice-President Consumer and Enterprise Service for AT&T in Mexico. My responsibilities center on the customer service and experience for our pre and post-paid clients. The organization is made up of both vendors and employees located throughout the country. The operation is comprised of both traditional call center agents as well as digitial service and support.
- How has Covid19 affected your contact centre within your workforce and your communication with your customers?
- Covid19 has had a significant impact everywhere and certainly within our day to day operations. The workforce has been impacted not just by the contingency and the “new normal”, but the environment for their position being moved to their homes. This is not only a challenge for the agent, but management as well. The considerations are things never contemplated, including data protection, connectivity and equipment sourcing and logistics. As for our customers, I am happy to say that we have been able to meet their needs and continue with BAU prior to this protracted period.
- What do you think the future looks like for the contact centre?
- I would say that it is not entirely clear. A few things that likely will be expanded is the “work at home” agent. I do believe there will be additional considerations with regard to remote management, hiring based upon this unique profile and geographic considerations allowing for dispersed support.
- We’re very excited about hearing your case study! Any chance we can get a sneak peek about what you will be specifically focusing on?
- Funny you ask. My presentation will address the future of contact center operations.
- What are you most looking forward to about the virtual event?
- I most look forward to the sharing of ideas and opportunities to network with others in the field or other related areas.